Wednesday 27 October 2010

Cake - Love You Madly

Midweek distraction No. 5 -  CAKE is an American alternative rock band from Sacramento, California. More info http://www.cakemusic.com/index.html

A slice of their style for now:




I was asked this week if I used a favourite recipe book and the answer is 'sort of', more of an eclectic mix of books and ideas.  I cooked from a Good Housekeeping Compendium when I was very young and looked longingly at all the pictures in their garish 60's colouring. I used it so much that when it fell apart I bought another copy, same era, for nostalgic purposes of course!


As a teenager, I had a modern version of the Complete Cook, in magazine format which had brilliant pictures as well as some 'step by step' instructions. I also had a very traditional high school teacher who taught us all the basics and a 'free rein' in the kitchen at home.



Now I like food blogs due to their picture content and often flick through the image section of Google to see what's out there.  However, I do have a copy of Molly Keane's 'Nursery Cooking' which has no real food photography at all but has been well used and a Mrs Beetons.

I have a photographic memory for recipes but strangely enough not on any other subject.  I also like to take my taste buds on tour and collect recipes from all over the world.

I am sorry that I can not recommend one or two books and there are no Amazon sales here then, as most of the above are out of print! Perhaps this is a future project. Current favourite recipe book suggestions would be welcome.




1 comment:

  1. Making my way through your blog and loving it! What a good time :)
    - Butter

    ReplyDelete